Sexual Trauma Therapy for Women, Pre-teens, & Teens
Trauma Focused-Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) is very effective for children and teens in overcoming traumatic events. I utilize this evidence-based therapy in my practice for victims of sexual abuse and date rape. This form of therapy can also be helpful for adult women as well.
*Ages 11 and older accepted*
What is the focus of treatment?
• Assist the individual to develop coping strategies for traumatic stress reactions.
• Reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety, or for children: acting out behavior (which are common in children exposed to trauma).
What do I have to do as a parent/guardian for my preteen or teen?
The participation of the parent is tremendously important in treatment. Studies show that children whose parents participated in their treatment improve more rapidly. TF-CBT focuses on helping parents by assisting in the following:
• Discussing their own feelings and thoughts about their child’s traumatic experience
• Learning techniques to improve parenting skills.
• Improving communication through family sessions.
• Preparing the parent to support their child when sharing trauma narrative in conjoint session.
• In cases where parents have also been a trauma survivor there is an opportunity for the parent to process how their trauma impacts their child.
* INFORMATION FROM TF-CBT.ORG. SEE INFORMATION SHEET HERE